NEXT HOME GAME - TBC
NEXT AWAY GAME - SUPPORTERS XI ARE PLAYING WORCESTER AT MALVERN ON SUNDAY AUGUST 3rd AT 3.00pm

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Lawrence still dreams of Fleetwood

Lennie Lawrence, the former Cardiff City manager now with Bristol Rovers, is still talking about Stuart Fleetwood.

He watched him at Edgar Street last Tuesday and has spoken to the League Paper about Hereford's star striker.

"Fleetwood destroyed City on his own.

"I gave him his debut at Cardiff, but he lost his way in latter years.

"The kid always had potential, maybe now it's finally being realised."

The article from which those quotes come suggests that 'Rovers may go for Fleetwood' but there are no direct quotes saying that Rovers will bid for Fleetwood.

The chase for a new striker for Bristol Rovers arises because Junior Agogo looks likely to leave the club before the transfer deadline which closes next Thursday.

Also in the League Paper is an article about Fleetwood and how he has put his release from Cardiff City and the car crash he was involved in behind him.

"The Carling Cup is giving me a hugh lift. But any success we get isn't any surprise to me. Hereford can beat anybody on a given day at Edgar Street.

"You just have to take your chances against the higher-league opposition."

He talked about the effects of the accident.

"After the car business, things changed for me. When my friend Nicky (Fish) was in a coma, not too much mattered for me except his recovery.

"I don't remember anything about the crash. It's all been wiped from my mind.

"Yet all us four lads have stayed in touch since we've left Cardiff. I beleive some sort of bond has formed.

"We talk regularly. Nicky is still looking for a club. I hope he gets fixed up soon.

"I never lost faith in myself when City let me go. I was, though, stunned when Dave Jones didn't think I could contribute anything at the club.

"When I was a kid under City boss Lennie Lawrence, I was promised a bright future. Some said I could be the new Robert Earnshaw.

"Being ditched by Cardiff was very hard for me to take."

Meanwhile both Scott Tynan and Simon Travis are in the League Paper's Team of the Week.