NEXT HOME GAME - TBC
NEXT AWAY GAME - SUPPORTERS XI ARE PLAYING WORCESTER AT MALVERN ON SUNDAY AUGUST 3rd AT 3.00pm

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Tretton Quits After Injury Battle

Andy Tretton is to quit the professional game after a torrid time with injury, according to the Hereford Journal.

Tretton left Edgar Street after three years, and just short of 100 games, for a two year deal at Accrington in 2005 after Graham Turner offered the Shrewsbury-based player only a one year contract.

But Tretton took nearly seven months to make his Accrington debut after picking up a knee injury in pre-season, and managed just seven appearances in two years with his last first team action almost a year ago.

He made a couple of recent reserve appearances after a series of operations, but the injury was restrictive. Tretton told the paper: "I found after the couple of games I played that I couldn't do anything for a few days afterwards. The decision I've made is not a snap one - it's been coming for some time. It's best for me and my family to take stock as I've been banging my head against a wall."

Tretton, 30, made over 200 senior appearances mainly with the Bulls and Shrewsbury after originally coming through the youth ranks at Derby. He is planning a return to the game part-time in the future, but is due to take a course at Shrewsbury College as he prepares for life outside football.