NEXT HOME GAME - TBC
NEXT AWAY GAME - SUPPORTERS XI ARE PLAYING WORCESTER AT MALVERN ON SUNDAY AUGUST 3rd AT 3.00pm

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Baker's return to Hereford

Matt Baker returned to Hereford last weekend and in his latest MK Dons article he comments on the familiar surroundings.

"I think I know why our SAS troops are the best fighting force in the world," wrote Baker, who used to keep goal for the Bulls.

"It's not the extreme training that they go through or the fact that they use live ammunition during training exercises. It's not the amazing mental strength they must possess or the fact that they adopt that British mentality of just getting on with the job in the most horrific condition imaginable.

"It's the fact that about 500 yards down the road from their base, on the outskirts of Hereford, they have the most amazing Chinese restaurant in the land!

"I know several of the boys have plundered their menu after a long tour away and because it's only 300 yards from where I used to live when I was a Hereford United player, I know it a little too well!

"My friend is actually in the SAS and some of the stories which he has told me would make you hair curl. Forget sportsmen, they are true heroes.

"I have to say it's a good job they are our heroes because after the week British sport has endured we desperately need something or someone to inspire us."

Baker then reminds his readers that in football, rugby and motor racing last weeekend there was little success for England.

"So the footballers had flopped, the rugby squad had tried valiantly to be the first side ever to retain a rugby World Cup and failed, and so all our hopes were on an 22-year-old from Stevenage, in a go-cart, to brighten the British mood.

"Again we were left disappointed and disgruntled. We had promised so much and delivered so little, maybe the fact that we as a nation are comfortable with mediocrity is the reason why people weren't that upset, maybe they were expecting it. I know people who I spoke to said, 'oh well, we were always going to lose.'

"Thank goodness I didn't feel so pessimistic over the weekend. A battling display and a spirited Dons victory was the perfect tonic to combat the national disappointment.

"With nine wins on the bounce, a superb away following and a four-point lead at the top of League Two, I was all smiles.

"Although the plate of crispy duck and prawn toast certainly helped!"