NEXT HOME GAME - TBC
NEXT AWAY GAME - SUPPORTERS XI ARE PLAYING WORCESTER AT MALVERN ON SUNDAY AUGUST 3rd AT 3.00pm

Friday, August 28, 2009

Concerned but not distressed - Trewick

In an interview published on the Football League site John Trewick says he is enjoying his new job as manager of Hereford United. And whilst he admits he's concerned about the Bulls lack of points he's not distressed.

"When I was assistant to Graham," said Trewick, "he gave me a lot of leeway in areas like player recruitment as well as coaching, so along with my previous jobs I've had a good grounding.

"What I'm doing now isn't massively different to what I was doing before. There are obviously one or two adjustments and, of course, the buck now stops with me. But I'm thoroughly enjoying it - I've still got as much enthusiasm for football as I've ever had and to be honest, if you don't enjoy the game you shouldn't be working in it.

"We've not done too badly so far after the disappointment of last season," said the 52-year-old manager.

"Clubs like Leeds and Leicester in League 1 are massive compared to us, so it was a struggle to compete with them because our income basically didn't allow us to do so.

"We also had an extraordinary amount of things that worked against us. Just one example is the fact that for one reason or another we had to use seven different goalkeepers over the course of the season - I'd never experienced anything like that before and it certainly affected us.

"Now we're working to get some results together, and although we've not got the number of points we'd like on the board at this stage the players are in a positive frame of mind, we're finding out week to week about the strengths and weaknesses of the teams in League 2 and I'm very hopeful of having a decent season."