NEXT HOME GAME - TBC
NEXT AWAY GAME - SUPPORTERS XI ARE PLAYING WORCESTER AT MALVERN ON SUNDAY AUGUST 3rd AT 3.00pm

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Back Four Were Not Good Enough - Davey

Hereford United manager Simon Davey blamed basic errors for the 4-1 defeat by Stevenage at Edgar Street this evening.

"Astonished with the defending," Davey told BBC Hereford and Worcester. "Everything I asked them to do they did. I thought they passed the ball well. They created chances.

"But, yet again, people let me down and didn't do their jobs.

"The back four weren't good enough. End of story.

"Basic errors. Ryan Valentine first half, Townsend second half, we'd got a head of steam up and got the goal back. There was only one team going to win then a mistake again.

"Then your 2-1 down, then another mistake in the middle of the park. Sam Gwynne lets a ball go over his foot and they break and score.

"At the end of the day you can only tell them to do their jobs but if you're going to make errors like that you know what more can you do."

Sean Canham equalised for the Bulls and for a short time they created several attacks.

"I said at half time the game will be won by us unless our back four make basic errors and they did it.

"You could play teams in the Northern Conference who will score if you are going to give silly basic errors away.

"At the end of the day they performed, they passed, they did everything that was asked of them, but defensively they weren't at the races.

"And that was the difference between the two teams."

Keith Hall then asked Davey how he was 'feeling personally'.

"I've got to take it on the chin. At the end of the day I'm in charge of them.

"I can prepare them, I can do everything I possibly can but once they cross that white line - I don't tell Ryan Valentine not to tackle someone on the halfway line, I don't tell Michael Townsend not to put the ball and pirouette on it.

"I take responsibility we lost the game. That's my responsibility.

"And it doesn't look good, no it isn't good, and the results are not good but some players have to take responsibility."