NEXT HOME GAME - TBC
NEXT AWAY GAME - SUPPORTERS XI ARE PLAYING WORCESTER AT MALVERN ON SUNDAY AUGUST 3rd AT 3.00pm

Saturday, May 21, 2011

From The Archives - Snape joins The Bulls

It was back in May 1998 that mid-fielder John Snape (picture copyright Nigel Hill) joined the Bulls.

JOHN Snape today revealed how he had to let his head rule his heart and join Hereford United.

The combative midfielder ended a six seasons stay with Dr Martens Premier Halesowen Town to join Graham Turner's Bulls.

Snape, a crowd favourite and the Yeltz skipper, admitted it had been one of the toughest decisions in his football career. But the lure of playing in the Vauxhall Conference had proved irresistible.

"I'm 29 now and I want the chance to play at the highest level," said Snape.

"I've loved my time at Halesowen and I would have loved to have led them into the Conference. To leave them is a big wrench.

"But if I had said `no' to Hereford I might never have have the chance again.

"I had offers to go before but I let my heart rule my head. This time, I had to think I might never have the chance again."

Earlier in his Yeltz career, Snape had turned down a move to Hednesford while Bromsgrove, then in the Conference, had also been keen on him.

The Pitmen decision had been particularly ironic.

"Hednesford came in for me but I stayed loyal to John Morris, who was the manager at the time. John was going through a torrid time," recalled Snape.

"But two days later he was sacked!"

One-time Albion apprentice Snape, who joined Halesowen from Stourbridge, had been out of contract at the Grove, and like team-mate Stuart Evans, joins the Bulls on a free transfer.

Burton Albion and Worcester City had also been keen to recruit him but the it was the level of football, rather than any monetary deals, which persuaded him Hereford was the right club.

"This is a new beginning for me. I'm starting afresh and I've got to prove myself on a different stage," said Snape, who will remain part-time.

"Mr Turner wants to take the club back into the League and if I could help Hereford achieve that, it would be brilliant."