NEXT HOME GAME - TBC
NEXT AWAY GAME - SUPPORTERS XI ARE PLAYING WORCESTER AT MALVERN ON SUNDAY AUGUST 3rd AT 3.00pm

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Attwell to Referee on Saturday

Stuart Attwell is set to referee this coming Saturday's match at Edgar Street between Hereford United and AFC Wimbledon.

Attwell, who had been a Premiership referee for the last four years, was dropped two weeks ago after what was described as a 'string of high-profile errors'.

"He has shown many of the attributes of a top-flight official but the Premier League is an exacting standard with huge demands," said former referee Mike Riley who is general manager of Professional Game Match Officials Limited

"It is imperative that PGMOL deliver the best officiating possible to the English game at all levels.

"This is not the end for Stuart. There are several match officials who have returned to the National List and benefited from it. Stuart has a high level of maturity and responsibility and I'm convinced that he has a long-term future as a referee at the very highest level. PGMOL sincerely hopes to be welcoming Stuart back to the select group in the future."

Attwell said: "I have learned a great deal from my involvement in the select group over the last four years and I am now looking forward to building on that valuable experience.

"I strongly believe I have a lot to offer refereeing and I now look forward with commitment and enthusiasm to the new challenge that I am undertaking. This is supported by a determination to continue my career development and return to the select group as soon as possible."

Attwell hasn't refereed at Edgar Street since the opening day of the 2007/08 season when he took charge of the game against Rotherham. The result was a goal-less draw and no one was booked.