NEXT HOME GAME - TBC
NEXT AWAY GAME - SUPPORTERS XI ARE PLAYING WORCESTER AT MALVERN ON SUNDAY AUGUST 3rd AT 3.00pm

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Gary Bowyer And His Dad


In a recent interview, former Hereford United player Gary Bowyer, now manager at Blackburn, recalls what it was like playing for his father.

After a long career father Ian became player-manager at Edgar Street in October 1987. He took over from John Newman.

Gary joined the Bulls in 1989 after leaving Westfields. He was a full back.

"I played under him at Hereford and he was very demanding," Gary told the Lancashire Telegraph.

"I think we played together twice. I don't think anyone has done that since.

"The first time my dad was sub and we were losing at Scunthorpe. He brought himself on and we drew 3-3.

"I can remember I was the one who scored the equaliser and looking back I think he was the only one who didn't come and congratulate me, because it was my fault for the first goal. (Gary's goal was described as a 'spectacular 90th minute overhead kick')

"When we got back into the dressing room he reminded me that if I had not made that mistake we would have won 3-2.

"But as I look back now it was the right way to deal with it. It brought me back down to earth. He didn't treat me any differently, if anything it was always made harder."

Gary made 14 league appearances for the Bulls and also helped them to victory in the Welsh Cup in 1990.

"Hereford were in the Welsh Cup for some reason and we won it that year at the Cardiff Arms Park.

"We beat Wrexham. I was 18 and playing in a cup final in a massive stadium.

"We had Darren Peacock in the team, I roomed with him that weekend I remember.

"They were happy days for me and I always look out for Hereford's results."

Ian left Hereford after the 89/90 season and went back to coaching at Birmingham, Nottingham Forest and later in Scotland.

"I'm so fortunate that I've got that wealth of knowledge to turn to," said Gary.

 "I just hope he doesn't start charging me for it!"