NEXT HOME GAME - TBC
NEXT AWAY GAME - SUPPORTERS XI ARE PLAYING WORCESTER AT MALVERN ON SUNDAY AUGUST 3rd AT 3.00pm

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Does Size Matter?


Harwood Bull watched last Saturday's game at Edgar Street.

Back in Hereford from my northern outpost last weekend, I hurried along to Edgar Street for my first viewing of Martin Foyle’s new squad. There were some reassuringly familiar faces on the Meadow End, but hardly any I recognised on the pitch. The first impression was that Foyle has definitely gone large, in particular in the forward line, with the big figures of Rankine, Walker and Smith charging around, mostly to fairly limited effect.

Smith did score an outstanding goal, starting on a run from the centre circle, he ignored passing options to left and right, and with three Tamworth players converging on him, let fly into the top corner from 25 yards out. All the more remarkable for the fact that for the other 89 minutes he showed none of the basic qualities that you would expect from someone with claims to be a professional footballer. I suppose if he scores a few more like that in the season we won’t complain, but I’m not holding my breath.

Walker is from the same mould. They are both big, strong, powerful players, but I’d trade some of that for some ability on the ball. Someone like Bowman for example …….

Rankine battled hard throughout the game, in an endless tussle with the centre backs. Most of it was 50-50 stuff, except the ref gave 90% of the decisions against Rankine. He finally saw sense and gave the defender a yellow late in the game.

Even Bush at left back is big lad, but for my money our two best players were the two smallest guys, Leadbitter & Artus. 

The following match at Alfreton I didn’t see, but apparently we were ‘bullied’ out of it. I’m sure Foyle is a decent manager, but his interviews are just a string of managerial clichés, and I’m not entirely sure what he means. If he just means we lost out to a more physical team, what were all our big guys doing? They aren’t in the team for their flair, so they need to deliver on the physical side. I’m not convinced that size is the answer. Remember Kyle Perry?